How to Find a Good Family Doctor?
Family doctors are a key part of every healthcare system. They’re your primary health care provider, helping you treat illnesses, prevent health concerns, and stay healthy. But exactly how to get a new family doctor can be a challenge, especially considering that between 3-15% of Canadians don’t have a regular doctor or clinic.
Keep reading to find out exactly how to get a new family doctor and why you need one.
It can be a challenge to find a good family doctor, especially one that you have a good rapport with and that you trust to care for you and your loved ones. But whether you’re new to Canada or looking to switch from your current doctor, WalkInVirtualClinics.com can help you with getting care from highly experienced family doctors.
So what else is another way of how do you find a family doctor?
- Get a referral from a friend or family member
- Call your local hospital and ask for a recommendation
- Check your provincial government’s website for options
- If you’ve just relocated to Canada, ask your local settlement agency for a recommendation
- Call local doctors and ask if they’re accepting new patients
With most doctors, you can usually schedule a first doctor visit to make sure that it’s a good fit and for them to get an understanding of your overall health.
What to Look For When You Find a New Family Doctor!
Depending on where you live, you may need to choose the first family doctor you find that’s accepting new patients. But if you have the option of choosing your new doctor, you might be asking yourself how to find a good family doctor.
If you want to make sure your new doctor is the right fit for you, you might consider asking the following questions after your first meeting with them:
- Did they listen to your concerns and address them?
- Were they patient, or trying to rush you out?
- Can you easily make appointments at a convenient time for you?
- Did they explain your options if you discussed a treatment plan?
Most importantly, you’ll want to ensure you can communicate easily with your doctor and that you feel heard by them. You’ll also want to make sure you feel comfortable around them; your health is too important to not be able to speak freely.
What Your Family Doctor Can Do?
Once you’ve found your new family doctor, they’ll be the doctor that you see the most and the first step in any treatment. You’ll see your family doctor for checkups, testing and diagnosis, prescriptions, vaccinations, and more. Your family doctor will also be able to refer you to specialists if needed.
How to Get Medical Care Without a Family Doctor?
It can take weeks and months before you’re set up with a family doctor, especially in areas where there’s a shortage of family doctors, but your health can’t wait. Until you’re accepted as a new patient at a family practice, you have the following options when it comes to your health care:
- Visiting the hospital for emergencies
- Each province has a phone line to speak to a health care representative and get advice/help
- Walk-in clinics and community health centres can help you with non-emergent issues, which might include tests, prescription refills, exams,and more
- If you are living in any city like Parksville, Vernon, Squamish, Merritt of British Columbia, it’s easy to get virtual doctor consultation with WalkInVirtualClinics.com
Your family doctor will be a critical part of your preventative and primary care, but until you have a doctor, you may still need care and you shouldn’t wait to get treated. You’ll want to make it a priority to find a good family doctor near you, so that you and your family can get the care you need, when you need it.